Subject: Re: Kernels for Centris 610 or PowerBook 145
To: <>
From: Luca Falzoni <falzoni@jetai.unipv.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1997 00:05:10
>You'll have to use a HWDIRECT kernel, unless the MRG code has miraculously
>started working for the 145 recently.  At least mine fails with MRG
>kernels.  You'll also probably be limited to -current NCRSCSI kernels,

My PowerBook 160 works with ncr version of PMTEST.961214.122.iv kernel
(found it at http://www.lisanet.org/~hamada/Acti/Netbsd/netbsd.html) and
1.2.1 distribution.

>On that note, has any improvement been made recently in kernel support for
>PowerBooks?  I'm losing keystrokes quite a bit and getting numerous
>crashes

I also experienced keystroke losses and rare random crashes while booting.

but... my serial ports don't work until I check the 'Serial Boot echo' in
the booter's serial port preferences. With this trick I can only use the
printer port while the tty00 is still quiet.

>From the booter manual:
Open serial port before boot (for PBook)
In order for Powerbooks to use the serial port(s), they must be turned
on before booting in order to get the Power Manager to turn the power on
to the chip and the ports. Setting this option should only be necessary
if you are booting NetBSD/Mac68k on a PowerBook

It seems that even if the "open serial port before boot" is checked the
PowerManager doesn't turn on serial ports. Is this possible ?

ciao

--
falzoni@jetai.unipv.it
falzoni@mediapoint.it