Subject: Re: /etc/hosts file
To: None <tcjam@voicenet.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/1997 15:48:15
> Ok, I'm having those startup problems where it tries to add a route and
> anll I get is "File exists" I was just reading over a message from earlier
> and it said something about collapsing the ip addresses in /etc/hosts
> (127.1 as opposed to 127.0.0.1) And I was wondering what exactly is the
> proper format for my /etc/hosts file?
>
> #       $NetBSD: hosts,v 1.2 1996/05/08 17:19:37 thorpej Exp $
> Should I have 127.1 or 127.0.0.1 and would this be causing the "File
> exists" errors that I'm getting from route?

I only see this error message after a crash.  Following a successful
shutdown reboot, I have no problems.  What is the situation when you are
getting this message?  Every boot or just after a crash?

I'm not sure where the "file exists" error comes in, unless some kind of
pipe is created in the filesystem that's not getting cleared.

Hope this helps.

Later.