Subject: Re: Quick Question
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@Glue.umd.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/1997 14:26:35
> > On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >
> > > Christopher Bowman wrote:
> > >
> > > No, no, no you misunderstand (or maybe I do, but I don't think so) the orriginal
> > > poster wanted to put the macos and a booter on a flopy, boot the flopy and
> > > use that to boot NetBSD which is entirely possible (or should be)
> >
> > Re-reading, you're correct. But I kinda read ahead and wondered how to actually
> > install on such a beast. W/ no MacOS disk space, there's no place to put the
> > tar files from which to install. You could take the drive to another computer
> > and install there, but if you only have one, chances are it's internal. :-)
> >

> Think EtherTalk mounted volume.  Though I think some else's suggestion was better
> make a macos partiton of whatever size, and have mkfs convert it to MacBSD.

What I did to install onto an 80MB drive in an SE/30 was to make 1 ffs
root&usr partition, and then leave the rest of the drive (I think 20MB) as
my HFS install partition.  When I was finished, I converted this partition
to my swap partition (I don't think that you'll ever swap while doing
initial setup, so I ran without any for the first few days).  Although it
is kinda weird to have the machine suddenly lock up if it tries to swap,
this method will work ;-)

Later.