Subject: Re: Status of esp driver?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1997 20:27:27
On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 1997 19:49:31 -0500 (CDT),
> "The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood]" <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU> wrote:
> >
> > MkLinux's external SCSI driver seems to have problems handling things such
> > as drives not ready (e.g. attempting to access a removable while it's
> > spinning up.  I've had a look at the sources, and it says they're from
> > NetBSD, some driver called asc.c.
> >
> > /*      $NetBSD: asc.c,v 1.18 1996/03/18 01:39:47 jonathan Exp $        */
> >
> > I have several questions:
> > 1.  What NetBSD platform did that come from?
>
> Isn't that our sound chip driver? ;-) Ok, it sure looks like
> sys/dev/tc/asc.c, which is a turbochannel device driver.  So, it must
> be pmax and/or alpha.

Hey!  That's my line!  (That was the first thing that popped into mind
when I saw that title....  :-)  Seriously, upon looking at the source code
a little harder, I found a reference to a pmax merge, and the latest date
was the one above, most of them were back in 1990 and 91....  So, it looks
like they tossed lots of their driver code and replaced it with the driver
from NetBSD-pmax in 1996, if I'm reading this right.  Which is still a
driver from a year and a quarter ago, which could be why it has so many
problems.  Has anybody experienced any problems with the esp driver using
IBM drives?  More accurately, a TI Sync Negotiation problem?  Has anybody
had any problems with any drives recently with esp?

> > 2.  Is that a predecessor to the esp driver?
>
> It looks like a 53c94 driver...  Isn't esp a 53c96 driver?  I don't
> know anything about their similarity...  You should be able to
> download the datasheets in PDF from NCR's web site IIRC.

I think I remember Allen saying (a week or so ago) esp is 53c94 and 53c96,
but I could easily be remembering wrong.  Also, according to this, the
asc.c driver is also both 53c94 and 53c96, which is why I wondered if they
might not be of the same lineage or something.

Anybody?
David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |