Subject: Status of esp driver?
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1997 19:49:31
MkLinux's external SCSI driver seems to have problems handling things such
as drives not ready (e.g. attempting to access a removable while it's
spinning up.  I've had a look at the sources, and it says they're from
NetBSD, some driver called asc.c.

/*      $NetBSD: asc.c,v 1.18 1996/03/18 01:39:47 jonathan Exp $        */

I have several questions:
1.  What NetBSD platform did that come from?
2.  Is that a predecessor to the esp driver?
3.  What's the current status of the esp driver?  Will it handle such
things as not causing a kernel panic when accessing a drive that's not
ready?  Since esp's supposedly so M.I., what's the chance of easily
porting it into MkLinux (given that its current driver is a NetBSD driver
of some ilk)?
4.  What's the probability that it will help?  IOW, what's the probability
that the problems are not in Mach's M.I. SCSI code?

If anybody's online this evening who knows anything about it, I'd love to
hear about it, because I'm considering suggesting that someone try porting
the esp driver on the MkLinux development list, if it's more stable than
the driver MkLinux already has.  (I won't be home this week, so I'd like
to send it out tonight, before I forget. :)

TIA,
David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |