Subject: Re: Kernels for Centris 610 or PowerBook 145
To: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1997 19:17:59
On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Claudio Jeker wrote:
>
> > I am trying to run NetBSD on a Centris 610 or a PowerBook 145.
> >
> The latest "current" kernel should work for both, I believe.  You cna find
> this kernel at:

You'll have to use a HWDIRECT kernel, unless the MRG code has miraculously
started working for the 145 recently.  At least mine fails with MRG
kernels.  You'll also probably be limited to -current NCRSCSI kernels,
because at least on my PB145, the sbc kernel chokes on any drive I give
it, from the EZ135 to the internal Quantum Daytona to an external Quantum
(I forget what it was, besides fairly old, and that was months ago).
Half-read blocks, and kernel panics, if I remember right.  Current NCRSCSI
kernels seem to work very well on them, though, with the exception of a
handful of troublesome drives like the EZ135.

On that note, has any improvement been made recently in kernel support for
PowerBooks?  I'm losing keystrokes quite a bit and getting numerous
crashes, one of which, yesterday, looked like it came from some memory
allocation request from the adb code, though I may have misread that (I'm
not a NetBSD kernel hacker yet, MkLinux maybe... the Mach part, anyway...)
I'm also having real problems making it recognize my keyboard.  They keep
getting worse, it seems, too.  Now, I have to connect an external keyboard
to it temporarily during the boot to make it recognize my internal
keyboard and trackball.  Of course, if the MRG code can handle it, great.

Anybody?
David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |