Subject: Re: PERL
To: Keith Parkins <kp004f@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1997 23:43:03
Hi,

On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Keith Parkins wrote:

> I am trying to compile PERL (from macbsd.com) and have run into a problem
> with the Configure script. It works fine until I get to the point in the
> script where it is supposed to enter the hints directory to help determine
> the arch of my machine. It is unable to find the config.sh (as it should,
> this is my first install) and sends the First time through . . . line.
> However, it can't execute the cd hints; ls *.sh . . . , then can't open
> ../UU/myread. I don't have a hints directory in my perl_docs dir.

What version of Perl are you trying to compile?  I had all sorts of
problems with 4.036 and never could get it to work.  However, I found
5.003 compiled right out of the box.

> Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know why the script can't
> open UU/myread? myread is in that directory. Oh yeah, early in the script,
> it notifies me that MANIFESTO was not included in the tar I downloaded. Is
> this a crucial file or the GNU manifesto?

My guess is that your kit might not be complete. I would recommend
downloading a fresh copy from one of the CPAN mirrors.

> I am running NetBSD 1.2.1 w/ SBC-15 on an LCII. Thanks for the
> help! :)

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/