Subject: Re: Bad fcs?
To: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1997 11:35:29
On Sat, 28 Jun 1997, Bob Nestor wrote:

> It's been a couple of years since I looked at some of this, but as I
> recall InterSLIP on MacOS only used CTS for flow control (in-bound to the
> Mac I think), and all variants of PPP at the time used RTS for flow
> control (out-bound from the Mac).  Someplace I've got a memo from Amanda
> Walker (InterSLIP author at Intercon) on this subject.  That's the reason
> that most modems need to be configured to not use DTR for hangup control
> under PPP but can use it under SLIP. Recall that most (not all) hardware
> handshake modem cables sold nowdays have RTS tied to DTR.  If all this is
> still true then it might be that your problem is you're only getting flow
> control in one direction.

Well, this was with MacPPP, set explicitly to use RTS and CTS, so unless
there's something wrong with the serial chip....

Another interesting point to note, when using x/y/zmodem, transmissions
from the laptop to the linux box worked fine with zmodem, but to go the
other way, I had to switch to xmodem, because zmodem kept getting errors
until it gave up.  Using the PowerMac in MacOS running Zterm, I didn't
have this problem.  Thus, the big question is why I got so many errors
even at slow speeds (e.g. 1200 baud).  It is obviously a driver problem.
Maybe when they fix handshaking on PCI macs so they don't crash during
data transfers, the code changes might help this NuBus mac's handshaking
at the same time....

David