Subject: Re: ppp routing again
To: jfron <jfron@fwi.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/27/1997 19:43:45
> yet another dynamically assigned ppp question on routing:

Although I can't really help on this one (PPP has always pretty much just
worked for me ;-)....

> i'm using the ppp.setup out of the box.  dialing up seems to work fine, and
> it appears (by modem audial feedback anyways)that a valid connection is
> established.  however, i cannot get a route to any machine, even by IP.
> defaultroute is included in options.  this should make pppd use the ppp
> host as the default route, right?

This one, however, isn't too hard...

> related- at boot, it gives me a 'bad
> hostname' for myname (what ought i to be using, since i have no valid
> outside name.  or does it matter)

This is caused by not having a valid hostname available to any of the
resolver functions.  If you put an entry in /etc/hosts for your machine,
this should fix the problem.

> somewhat related question:  how do i get ppp-down to *keep* ppp down.  it
> will kill ppp, but then continuously attempt to reconnect (redial) when the
> connection is broken.  the only way i've found to solve this problem is to
> turn off the modem and leave it off.  and no, i'm not dial on demand.

I think that one of the options given to PPP causes this redial behavior.
You might want to check the ppp man page, though, to be sure.

I hope this helps a little.

Later.