Subject: Re: Quick Question
To: Aaron Gerega <ag001e@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/27/1997 09:24:36

> This is a quick question.
>
> Is there any reason I can't partition my entire HD as A/UX and boot from a
> floppy disk that has the NetBSD booter on it?  The reason I ask is that I only
> have 340M and whenever I try to do a dual partition (MacOS/A/UX)
> APSPowerTools forces me to have a 53.3M root partition which isn't big
> enough to install everything on to.  I guess that's it.

Mainly as we don't support the floppy drive at the moment. :-( There's
been some preliminary work, but I think it's stalled for lack of
documentation.

Another option would be to make two HFS partitions (well 3) and use mkfs
1.4 (I think) to change them to NetBSD partitions.

Note: some partitioning programs don't make the partition map entry
correctly. They get it to be one entry short. Mkfs goes strictly by the
book, and won't touch a partition entry outside of the map (lest it
actually be real data). So you might not be able to change the last
partition listed (which isn't necessarily the last one on the disk).
Just make the NetBSD ones (root & swap) first, and you should be fine.

Take care,

Bill