Subject: Re: nfs only sometimes works
To: None <jon@cs.wits.ac.za, root@colossus.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/1997 09:37:59
> howcome nfs works so seldom on my netbsd box?

Does it work inconsistently, or only with certain exports settings?
How many filesystems do you have?

It's not too clear in the man page, but the filesystems listed must be
mount points.  That is, if you want to export /pub with permissions
different from /, I think it has to be a separate filesystem.  I have
heard mutterings that, "NFS is so insecure anyway that it gives you
access to the whole filesystem even if you mount just a subdirectory.

> my exports file seems to only work with this line:
>
> / -alldirs -maproot=root -ro

Well, I expect that it would work with just:

	/ -alldirs

I also expect that if you tried to mount /, instead of /pub/pub, the
following would work, too:

	/

Is this consistent with what you've seen?

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com