Subject: Re: Network Bizzareness
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/26/1997 20:31:43
Hi,

I believe doing a tcpdump has already been recommended.  This is just a
stab in the dark, but is routed running on the IIvx? Also, try the
recommendation of botting the IIvx under MacOS and see if the problem
persists. If the problem seems to be NetBSD only, the firt thing I would
do is turn off routed.

Mark

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Michael R Zucca wrote:

> Ok NetBSD network gurus here's a cool one:
>
> We've got a little apartment network going here as like so:
>
> ------------   ------------------   --------   -------
> |Pentium   |   |PowerMac        |   |IIvx  |   |486  |
> |Win NT    |---|Linux-pmac/MacOS|---|NetBSD|---|Linux|
> ------------   ------------------   --------   -------
>             ^                                     |
>             10-Base-2                             | < Serial Line
>                                                 Modem
>
> The local network is 192.168.1.x. Anytime we want to address a local
> node we use a Hosts file. If we want to access the outside world then
> the 486 box kindly does IP Masquerading with diald to connect to the
> outside world and give the network access. So the 486 box is essentially
> the gateway/router for the apartment.
>
> Anyway, about 2 months ago my roomate booted windows on the 486 and it seemed
> that having the IIvx on was causing windows to crash. Turning it off seemed
> to cause it not to crash. My roomate surmised this was because the IIvx
> wanted to use the gateway for whatever reason and he didn't have the
> ethernet drivers installed thus causing Windows to puke (great Microsloth
> stuff, huh?). I thought this was a fluke.
>
> Recently I booted into MacOS on my PowerPC and I tried using the network
> with open-transport. Sometimes when I opened NCSA telnet I get messages
> about not being able to open TCP Name Resolver and network access in general
> has been very spotty at best, especially in the name services department.
> So I had a hunch and I shut off the IIvx. Reboot, and voila! Everything
> works without a hitch.
>
> On a side note I've just re-installed Linux-pmac and I've been having network
> setup troubles. I wonder if this is related...
>
> Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a hardware screw up, a kernel problem, or
> just a general setup gaff on my part. I didn't touch the NetBSD network
> setup too much from the normal install, just added my name, a few name
> servers to resolv.conf, the gateway name, and some names to the hosts file.
>
> Anybody have an idea?

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/