Subject: Re: Please remove me
To: None <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1997 21:34:42
On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:12:01 -0500 (CDT),
Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu> wrote:
> > > Actually, I think that Allen has to approve all subscribes/unsubscribes
> > > these days...
> >
> >   Isn't it generally considered somewhat bad form to make someone ask for
> > permission to remove themselves from a mailinglist?
> >
> >   Just a thought, since the whole point of majordomo is to automate
> > things.
>
> Well, I believe that it prevents malicious unsubscribes, since I think
> that anyone could unsubscribe anyone else by giving a:

> to majordomo, but I could be wrong.

These days, I believe, you'll get a "confirm this" message from
majordomo to subscribing/unsubscribing address, and in order to
confirm, you'll have to reply to that message with the "password" (or
whatever it's called) supplied in the message from majordomo.

So, I don't think it's absolutely necessary to make Allen do it for
you.

Later,

Ken