Subject: Re: 840AV ethernet probs
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1997 19:56:42
> ?? swap doesn't actually get turned on until multi-user boot. So the
> kernel'll boot fine w/o it. Or were you saying that the system fully
> boots ok? It's only in 1.2G (for which there's no mac68k snapshot
> AFAIK) that you HAVE to have a swap line.

I don't think that you _have_ to have a swap line.  I believe that it
simply won't swap without it (not that you'd ever want to do this
normally, but I've run into situations where this was quite helpful ;-)

> > My /etc/fstab
> >
> > /dev/sd0a  /     ufs    rw 1 1
                     ^^^
The installer should probably be fixed to use the newer ffs.  I think that
ufs is being deprecated or something like that...

> > /dev/sd1b  none  swap   sw 0 0
> > kern       /kern kernfs rw 0 0
> > proc       /proc procfs rw 0 0
>
> It should be /dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0 as your swap, for pre-1.2G
> GENERIC kernels, must be on the "b" partition of the drive housing
> root.

> > Also a system boot I can't see any echo ae0 or anything else which looks
> > like ethernet. Only with the NuBus ethernet card the kernel saw the card
> > but false to intialize it and freeze.
>
> On an 840, I don't know if we support ethernet, as it's an Apple custom
> design.

The AV Macs use the MACE chip, which is unsupported at the moment.

Later.