Subject: Re: Boot hang on vx
To: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1997 19:50:32
> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:
>
> > Everythin goes fine on my vx until I try to boot. It gets to the copyright
> > statement and hangs.
> > Looking at the FAQ, I have done the following:

This one isn't in the FAQ b/c I'd hoped that the Booter maintainer
(whomever that is at the moment) would have fixed the problem.  It seems
that versions of the Booter later than 1.9.0 will not boot on the IIvx.
I've added this to my list of things to add....ugh!

> > Any ideas?

See above ;-)  (Thanks for looking at the FAQ though, it's usually far
more helpful ;-)

> See my previous message and the suggestion to use a "current" kernel. The
> 1.2.1 distribution did not add any new "features" over 1.2. As I
> mentioned, there are a lot more Mac models supported in the current
> distribution over 1.2.1. This includes the Centris 650 that I am writing
> this message on.

True, but the IIvx was supported in 1.2 to the best of my knowledge
(although I'd have to look at my notes for sure).

> I wish the FAQmaster (hint, hint Colin) would strongly urge new
> users/installers to install the current snapshot rather than the
> distribution binaries and kernel.

Ahhhh....but that would be "bad"!  A continuing discussion on some NetBSD
mailing lists is the rather long interval between formal NetBSD releases.
Since only formal releases are guaranteed to be stable, it would be rather
unwise to force -current on unix-newbies.  I believe that somewhere in all
that documentation there is a mention of the benefits (and hazards) of
running -current.

Later.

P.S.  sorry to have taken so long to get back to everyone on this, but
I've just spent the last 2 weeks moving across the country and settling in
at my new job...