Subject: Re: Headless server -- how to? Q's
To: None <dmays@fi.edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1997 11:07:33
On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Dave Mays wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>
> > >IIRC, the school provides two 10B-T port per dorm room (one per
> > >student). Would EtherWave be the way to go in this setup? What would the
> > >actual topology be? (Haven't used/seen EtherWave before.)
> >
> > That depends on whether your roomie needs his port or not. If both are free
> > for you to use, then it'd be a waste to buy the EtherWaves. You could just
> > hook up each computer to the network. For home use (i.e. not connected to
> > any computers besides the two) you can use a "reversed" ethernet cable.
> > This lets you use 10base-T Ethernet without a hub (or the EtherWaves). All
> > it does is reverse the send pair and the receive pair on one end of the
> > cable so that send on 1 computer goes to receive on the other & vice versa.
>
> The other thing to look out for in this type of situation is that the
> school may have the ports locked out in such a fashion that the hubs
> they're connected to will not accept multiple devices on one port.
> Additional to that is the problem of IPs.  You can't just randomly assign
> an ip, even if it's within the appropriate subnet.  This makes network
> administrators very mad and vindictive.  You might find that your T-port
> is no longer ethernet, and is now a 115v power socket.  Hope that your
> roomie doesn't need his port.
>
> If the ports are not set up to limit access to one device, you could buy a
> cheapie 5-port e-net hub for about $60.  Maybe less if you look hard.  You
> would hook that to the port on your wall, and it would become a repeater,
> in essence.  You would then have 4 ports at your disposal.  Then you just
> have to find IPs.

	One other option is to use ipnat on the NetBSD box to translate
	addresses so that all connections appear to come from the same IP.

	(I do this with my PC / sparc / RiscPC at home all using the
	same IP for dialup :)
		David/abs

- "It was at that point I realised there might be a chance for myself as a
-  caring human being. Unable to decide whether to feel hopeful or disgusted,
-  I chose both and opened a bottle of wine to celebrate"