Subject: Re: Booting a c650
To: Tom Rini <trini@ziplink.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1997 06:52:14
Hi,

I have a running C650, so I know this can be done.

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Tom Rini wrote:

> ok.  After I tell it to boot, act calls the shutdown manager, then locks
> up.  nothing that would imply that it switched from macos to netbsd.  I
> went an followed the normal installtion, (all the packages except the sec.
> one), and genericsbc-32 kernel.  I went and checked the FAQ, turned on
> B&W, 32-bit memory on, give the booter 18000k ram to run, made sure i had
> the right kernel name, correct root scsi id, correct ammound of total ram,
> and auto-size, turned off all extentions (running 7.5.5 too).  under
> options->booting I have  singer user, extra debugging info, show dialong &
> wait for OK, and halt boot on non-fatal errors on (booter 1.10.1).  I have
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think this could be your problem. There could be some "normally
insignificant" error which is killing the boot process.  I would turn that
off.

> the kernel location set to NetBSD/mac, correct kernel name, partition, and
> memory set. Under Options->Serial, I have nothing checked.

The kernel name should be set to "netbsd".

> Anything else?  Should I be using the non-sbc kernel?

Correct me if I am wrong kernel masters, but I believe the Centris/Quadra
series uses a different driver (esp). So it shouldn't matter whether you
use GENERIC or GENERICSBC since the kernel will use the esp driver.  This
is from my bootlog:

esp0 at obio0: address 0x897000: NCR53C96, 16MHz, SCSI ID 7

Hope this helps.

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/