Subject: Re: Booting a c650
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Tom Rini <trini@ziplink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/24/1997 17:22:33
On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jun 1997 15:36:56 -0400 (),
> Tom Rini <trini@ziplink.net> wrote:
> > Ok, after a bit more fiddling, it looks like it tries to boot anyways.  I
> > started up off a floppy, ran the booter, and it ran through the env dump,
> > asked and me if i wanted to boot.  After i clicked on boot, it ejected the
> > floppy.
>
> It's absolutely normal for your Mac to spit out whatever is in the
> floppy drive when booting NetBSD because Booter calls the MacOS
> shutdown manager (or something named similar if else).

Just noting this, because i wasnt sure before if was just randomly
crashing somewhere, or if it crashed while trying to shutdown.

> >  So i was wondering if it might be my booting/serial options, and
> > if someone running it on a 650 could mail me what i should/shouldnt have
> > checked?
>
> I just don't understand exactly what is your problem here...

ok.  After I tell it to boot, act calls the shutdown manager, then locks
up.  nothing that would imply that it switched from macos to netbsd.  I
went an followed the normal installtion, (all the packages except the sec.
one), and genericsbc-32 kernel.  I went and checked the FAQ, turned on
B&W, 32-bit memory on, give the booter 18000k ram to run, made sure i had
the right kernel name, correct root scsi id, correct ammound of total ram,
and auto-size, turned off all extentions (running 7.5.5 too).  under
options->booting I have  singer user, extra debugging info, show dialong &
wait for OK, and halt boot on non-fatal errors on (booter 1.10.1).  I have
the kernel location set to NetBSD/mac, correct kernel name, partition, and
memory set. Under Options->Serial, I have nothing checked.

Anything else?  Should I be using the non-sbc kernel?

Tom Rini                (TR1265)    | Prick your finger it is done...
trini@{xeo.net,ziplink.net}         | The moon has now eclipsed the sun...
http://www.macintosh.net/mklinux/   | The angel has spread his wings...
http://www.grayphics.com/~trini/    | The time has come for bitter things...
"CS majors have better hardware."   | Marilyn Mason - Antichrist Superstar

  Any unsolicited email sent to this address attempting to sell something
  will be charged $15 for storage and reading, plus all costs associated
  with the sending of the bill. By sending unsolicited attempts to sell
  something to this address, you certify that you have read and agree to
  the terms set forth in this signature.