Subject: Re: Headless server -- how to? Q's
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/24/1997 10:11:58
>At college next year I want to use my IIci as a headless server. Dorms
>are small, and I already have a 7100 with a 17" monitor... I was
>thinking I could bring just the IIci itself (with Ethernet card and
>NetBSD installed, but no monitor, keyboard, or mouse) to school,
>daisy-chain it to the 7100 with an EtherWave adapter, and administer the
>NetBSD system over a null modem cable from the 7100 via ZTerm or
>PPP&Telnet.

Umm, I'm confused. you start by saying that you're going to daisy-chain the
7100, the IIci, & the school's Ethernet together. Then you say that you'll
administer the IIci via a null modem cable. Why would you use a modem cable
if they're Ethernetted?

>Do EtherWave adapters "just work", or do they require MacOS drivers?
>(meaning they wouldn't work in my config...)

You're confusing an adapter with a card. Your ethernet card must be
supported, but the Etherwave adapters merely allow you to use your card
without a hub. Hence, they "just work" It's like using the transciever with
your 7100 to get 10bt or any other kind of EtherNet. The internal ethernet
is there, the transciever just puts it in a usable form.

>I've never used X before, so this isn't really a major point of
>contention for me, but could I get color X on the 7100 this way? If so,
>how?

You would need something like MacX to use X on the 7100. It could be in
color if the IIci is using a video card that's supported and you used the
color X distribution & lkm. Unfortunately, the only MacOS X-servers that I
know of are commercial.

HTH
Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.