Subject: Re: X on Zip
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1997 18:31:44
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:
> I'm pretty sure you're correct on that.  The sbc driver replaces ncrscsi,
> not the ncrscsi96 driver (I think that's the right name), and should make
> no difference on a quadra... which is not to say that the '96 driver will
> handle Zips on quadras any better than the ncrscsi does on the old macs,
> but simply that the sbc driver won't handle the 53c96, AFAIK.  If the '96
> driver doesn't handle the zip drive acceptably, the only choice is to
> either write a new driver (ugh), or fix the '96 driver.  Looking on the
> bright side, though, at least it's not MESH....  (See David kick the
> MkLinux MESH driver.)

BTW, the 53c96 driver is called "esp", and I _think_ it's the machine
independent one, shared by the sparc, sun3, and alpha ports (and others?)
Or if it isn't MI, it's at least almost the same as the esp driver used by
the other ports :)

Anyways, I don't have a Zip, but the esp driver seems to be working fine
with all the devices I've tried: Quantum Fireball 540, Quantum Lightning
730, IBM DFHS 2.1GB, and some kind on Sony CDROM. I seem to remember that
the ncrscsi driver has problems with some Quantum drives?
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++