Subject: Re: X on Zip
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/23/1997 17:31:04
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > > It should be. There are seperate questions, using a Zip, and using X. X
> >
> > it's definitely possible; i've done it.  just be sure you use an sbc
> > kernel . . .
>
> Does the person really need an sbc kernel? He's using a Q700, which has
> a 53C96 SCSI chip, not a 5380. So does the ncrscsi/sbc difference
> matter?

I'm pretty sure you're correct on that.  The sbc driver replaces ncrscsi,
not the ncrscsi96 driver (I think that's the right name), and should make
no difference on a quadra... which is not to say that the '96 driver will
handle Zips on quadras any better than the ncrscsi does on the old macs,
but simply that the sbc driver won't handle the 53c96, AFAIK.  If the '96
driver doesn't handle the zip drive acceptably, the only choice is to
either write a new driver (ugh), or fix the '96 driver.  Looking on the
bright side, though, at least it's not MESH....  (See David kick the
MkLinux MESH driver.)

David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |