Subject: Re: Booting with HWDIRECT.173 kernel
To: Tom English <tenglish@iol.ie>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/22/1997 10:45:20
Hi,

I am running a Centris 650 which is not too different from your Q610.

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Tom English wrote:

> I recently installed NetBsd on my Quadra 610 using a rather miserly 40MB
> external (not wanting to risk reformatting the internal 540 Fireball). I
> couldn't boot using the netbsd121 distribution kernel...which I should
> have known.
>
> I then tried a HWDIRECT kernel. This was much more satisfactory, and
> almost booted away fine, even allowing me to use my adjustable keyboard
> (albeit at the db> prompt). I've also got it going on my IIcx, which
> goes OK too. However, I've not yet downloaded the base121 file. (It's
> pretty big).
>
> My question, to cut a long story short, is:
> 1. Should I use the base121 files with the HWDIRECT kernel? Should I
> expect it to boot properly when the base121 file is installed? (It
> panics, saying init not found at the moment)

You are going to need the base file as well as etc file installed for
NetBSD to boot.  Since you are going to be using a recent kernel, I would
strongly recommend that you get a "current" set of files.  You can the
latest base and etc files in:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/snapshot

While the HWDIRECT kernel will probably work with your Q610, you should
also be able to run a recent GEENRIC kernel without any problems. The
matching kernel for the "current" binaries is in:

  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/kernels

> 2. Is there any point installing everything to so small a drive? (2MB
> swap just to appease UNIX, 38MB Root & Usr)

You should be able to boot with the minimum files, but you will run out of
space soon.

> 3. I'm getting a panic on boot (saying that init can't be found). Might
> sound dumb, but I presume that'll be resolved by downloading and
> installing the base121 file. etc121 is already installed.

Yes, you are going to need base installed. Without base installed it
SHOULD panic.

> 4. With 8MB of RAM (on the IIcx, 20 on the Quadra) and possibly more
> disk space, could I run X? If so, should I download the standard X
> distribution...even with the HWDIRECT kernel installed?

You will need more HD space, but X should run on both the IIcx and Q610.
In fact, depending on your video card in the IIcx, you might be able to
run color X. Currently, the Q610 will only run monochrome X. If you want
to see what color X looks like on my IIcx, check it out at:

  http://bullwinkle.aisol.net/bullwinkle.html

Bullwinkle is my IIcx running NetBSd which is now a web server. I also
have a page showing monochrome X on my C650 at:

  http://bullwinkle.aisol.net/ratbert.html

For monochrome X, you just use the standard X distribution.  There is a
colorkit for color X, but that requires a special kernel or lkm
configuration. Check out the FAQ for more information.

> 5. How do I use my floppy(s)? (IIcx has an external floppy, too-any
> chance that'll work, because the kernel doesn't list it with fd0 on
> boot...

I am not sure about this, bit I believe floppy access is still a work in
progress. Anyone else?

> Thanks in advance-anyone who answers all these newbie questions has got
> to be patient!

A really good place to start is the MacBSD FAQ at:

  http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

It has more information than you will probably ever need.

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/