Subject: Booting with HWDIRECT.173 kernel
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom English <tenglish@iol.ie>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/21/1997 23:07:35
Hi guys...

I recently installed NetBsd on my Quadra 610 using a rather miserly 40MB
external (not wanting to risk reformatting the internal 540 Fireball). I
couldn't boot using the netbsd121 distribution kernel...which I should
have known.

I then tried a HWDIRECT kernel. This was much more satisfactory, and
almost booted away fine, even allowing me to use my adjustable keyboard
(albeit at the db> prompt). I've also got it going on my IIcx, which
goes OK too. However, I've not yet downloaded the base121 file. (It's
pretty big).

My question, to cut a long story short, is:
1. Should I use the base121 files with the HWDIRECT kernel? Should I
expect it to boot properly when the base121 file is installed? (It
panics, saying init not found at the moment)
2. Is there any point installing everything to so small a drive? (2MB
swap just to appease UNIX, 38MB Root & Usr)
3. I'm getting a panic on boot (saying that init can't be found). Might
sound dumb, but I presume that'll be resolved by downloading and
installing the base121 file. etc121 is already installed.
4. With 8MB of RAM (on the IIcx, 20 on the Quadra) and possibly more
disk space, could I run X? If so, should I download the standard X
distribution...even with the HWDIRECT kernel installed?
5. How do I use my floppy(s)? (IIcx has an external floppy, too-any
chance that'll work, because the kernel doesn't list it with fd0 on
boot...

Thanks in advance-anyone who answers all these newbie questions has got
to be patient!

Regards,
Tom.

PS: If I type c at the DB prompt, the mac syncs the disks, and starts
dumping to "dev 409, offset 8" or some such. Then, after a while, I get
"area improper" and it reboots. Any ideas?