Subject: Re: 840AV ethernet probs
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1997 23:07:46
At 09:46 19/06/97 -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>On an 840, I don't know if we support ethernet, as it's an Apple custom
>design.

It isn't a custom Apple design. It is one chip (Curio), yes, that contains
the ethernet controller, the SCSI controller, and the SCC. The SCSI is an
NCR 53C96, the ethernet is an AMD MACE (Am79C940), and it is supported
under Power Macs under Linux. Power Mac development, including the
devlopment of *most* of the support logic, actually began before the
devlopment of the Cyclone-class machine (the 840av) and they quite freely
borrowed Curio from the PDM-class machines (first generation PowerMacs) to
use in the Cyclone. All that really needs to be done it *try* to integrate
the MkLinux sources for Curio, and our problems should be solved. I know
that *most* of the DMA channel assignments are the same on the Cyclone
compared to PDM machines. There may well be some other small changes, but
generally, porting it should be a breeze. The only problem is, i'm not a
programmer. I just like poking around the innards of my machine :)

Steve