Subject: Re: 840AV ethernet probs
To: Tibor Pausz <pausz@stud.uni-frankfurt.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1997 09:46:07
> >You could try:
> >
> >cd /etc
> >echo "/dev/sdXa	/	ffs	rw 1 1" > fstab
>
> This kills the complete fstab, are you sure?

Those instructions were to re-build the whole thing from scarch. :-)

> >echo "/dev/sdXb	none	swap	sw" >> fstab
> >echo "kernfs	/kern	kernfs	rw 0 2" >> fstab
> >echo "/dev/sdXe /y1	ffs	rw 1 3" >> fstab
> >
> >and so on..
>
> No file matches /dev/sdX* .

X == whatever drive number you're using. So like sd0a, sd1a, ...

> And the swap is fixed - the system is booting.

?? swap doesn't actually get turned on until multi-user boot. So the
kernel'll boot fine w/o it. Or were you saying that the system fully
boots ok? It's only in 1.2G (for which there's no mac68k snapshot
AFAIK) that you HAVE to have a swap line.

> My /etc/fstab
>
> /dev/sd0a  /     ufs    rw 1 1
> /dev/sd1b  none  swap   sw 0 0
> kern       /kern kernfs rw 0 0
> proc       /proc procfs rw 0 0

It should be /dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0 as your swap, for pre-1.2G
GENERIC kernels, must be on the "b" partition of the drive housing
root.

> I have the sys.tar.gz from arch.... if I have to compile my own kernel I
> would do but typing config doesn't work.
>
> Also a system boot I can't see any echo ae0 or anything else which looks
> like ethernet. Only with the NuBus ethernet card the kernel saw the card
> but false to intialize it and freeze.

On an 840, I don't know if we support ethernet, as it's an Apple custom
design.

Take care,

Bill