Subject: Re: ethernet problem
To: Ben Hockenhull <benh@blues.jpj.net>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1997 10:25:55
>> ae0 at nubus0: address 00:40:10:00:61:61, type Ethernet A-Series, 32KB
>>memory
>> ae0: length does not match next packet pointer
>> ae0: len 0000 nlen ff00 start 0c first 00 curr d1 next 00 stop 80
>> ae0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65280
>>
>> The NIC seems to work ok, but I'm bothered by whatever it is that changed
>> to produce this error.
>
>Some time back, my SE/30 running 1.1 used to produce the same error from
>time to time.  I don't recall what triggered the error, but I seem to
>remember that a full power-off and reboot would eliminate the error
>message.
>
>I never did notice any problems that resulted from the NIC memory corrupt
>error, so I didn't worry about it too much.
>
>I was using an Asante SE/30-type NIC and the machine was rather busy.
>

>Ben

This is an Asante NIC. The machine isn't very busy, not busy at all at boot
time ;), but the network could well be busy when I'm booting the SE/30. I
may try again at night. It seems like I didn't see this error the first few
times I booted with this card, and I was concerned that the card might be
failing. It seems to work fine once it boots tho.

Thanks,

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614