Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: ethernet problem
To: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1997 00:39:19
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 22:23:28 -0400,
Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com> wrote:
> > This happens to me even when I boot with NO extensions.  I am not able to
> > send traffic if I let the error go unchecked.
>
> Hmmm..  That sounds like different behavior from what I've seen.  What
> kind of card do you have?  How much memory does it have?
> It's possible that it's only a problem on high-traffic networks.  It
> really shouldn't happen at all.  Something's not right during the
> initialization of the card--I've never bothered to try and track it
> down...

I'm not sure if this is going to help or not at all, but I've seen
"memory corrupt" and "incorrect packet length" errors (forgot the
exact messages) when I first tried my Kinetics EtherPORT SE/30.
Unlike most other NIC cards, it's got a byte-wide buffer.  I wouldn't
be surprised if there were more like that.

Ken