Subject: Re: Where's the FAQ?
To: Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. <drk@shore.net>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/1997 06:29:43
Hi,

That is the right address for the FAQ. Maybe it was overloaded at the time
(it is a IIcx, I believe). Or maybe it was the Internet.  This has been a
bad week for the Internet with major outages at both MAE-East and
MAE-West, and all sorts of routing problems with AT&T and PSI.

The usual things to check are: 1) Did you specify a kernel name (usually
'netbsd') in the Booter? 2) Is you video mode set to black and white when
booting? 3) Do you have AppleTalk turned off? 4) Did you restart with no
extensions?

Also, I am not sure if the IIvx is supported by the standard distribution
or not.  There are **a lot more** models supported in the current
distribution.  You might want to try getting a recent kernel at:

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/kernels

If it boots, then you will need to get the matching binary sets at:

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/snapshot

You would then install these binaries over the 1.2.1 distribution set.

Mark

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My attempt to bring up 1.2.1 on my vx went fine until I tried to boot. Then
> it got as far as the Copyright statement and hung the machine.
>
> I have tried looking for the FAQ in
> http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/ but couldn't get a response
> (after 8 minutes!). Where is the FAQ now?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Killoran

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!