Subject: Re: Problems with pppd
To: Franz Kammermeier <kamei@informatik.uni-kl.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1997 11:04:03
> I have problems running pppd (Versions 2.3.0 AFAIK) on my DUO270c with
> MacBSD 1.2 binaries and the special DUO kernel. Duo not in any dock.

And a 1.2 kernel? You are using the pppd in the 1.2 distribution,
aren't you?

> I started using a www-page "Accessing the Internet vial PPP on NetBSD"
> (don't know the author now, sorry) and the kit of Bill Studenmund.
> I also used adapted files from a linux machine, which succeeded (on the
> linux machine) to get a ppp-conntection to our university.

Which files from the kit did you change? Are you still using the kit's
scripts?

> The chat script seems to run successfully incl the "ogin: and word:" -
> part, but then pppd dies with  a message "modem hangup" in
> /var/log/messages (after a "connect  ppp0<->tty0" (or so) message) and
> the "TR"-LED on my modem becomes dark.
>
> I didn't get more messages on /var/log/messages using the kdebug 7 (!)
> option in addition to the debug option.

Get the ppp-debug script off puma, make sure there's a "+v" line in
your /etc/ppp/options file, and use ppp-debug on to turn on debugging.

> PS: BTW, with the DUO in the Mini-Dock, chat doesn't seem to get a
> connection to the modem via /dev/tty00 or /dev/tty01.

Probably as your connection is dying before anything goes through ppp.

Take care,

Bill