Subject: Re: netbsd boot
To: Frederic Berier <frederic.berier@enst-bretagne.fr>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/18/1997 08:38:05
Hi,

The standard distribution 1.2.1 does not support the Quadra/Centris series
Macintoshes.  You need to use the "-current" files.  You will need to
download the files from:

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/snapshot

and a kernel from:

   ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/latest/kernels

Then, you should be able to use your Quadra 660AV. (I think this should be
in the FAQ.) I have a 650 and NetBSD runs very well including X and
internal ethernet. I know we have others using Q840AV and Q660AV machines.

If you have not already read the FAQ, you should read it at:

   http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

It has a great amount of information.

Mark

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Frederic Berier wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'd like to be a new user of netbsd for mac. I've done the whole
> installation of 1.2.1 version on my Quadra 660AV. But i'm unable to
> boot with the boot-program which crashes before reading the scsi device.
>  I saw that netbsd is fully working on a 840AV, so it should work too,
> on a 660, since the hardware is the same (apart the video clock chip)
> and the ROM and the API are strictly the same.
>
>  I'm a programmer too (know how to program the DSP on AV Quadra), and
> I'd like to make the netbsd project progress.
>
>  Can you give me the adress of the person who use netbsd on a 840AV.
>
>  Thanks for helping me. I'll be able to help other one afer.
>

> --
>   Frederic BERIER           http://www-opt.enst-bretagne.fr/~berier/
> Departement d'Optique
>   ENST de Bretagne          Tel domicile : (33) 2 98 89 00 94
>    BP 832                   Tel bureau   : (33) 2 98 00 13 25
>  29285 BREST cedex                   Fax : (33) 2 98 00 10 25

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/