Subject: Re: help
To: Andrew Gibson <agibson@chac.qld.edu.au>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1997 11:12:10

> I tried to install netbsd onto a IIvi with 8 meg of RAM everything seemed
> to go fine, but when I try to boot, everything seems to be OK until the
> console gives it's final message and then the cursor freezes and the system
> hangs. As I havn't seen anyone else install netbsd on a mac I don't even
> know what things should like  or what should happen. I downloaded the
> kernel again and reinstalled it, but no change.

	First, some of my tips which have fixed really troublesome machines:

* In the booter, try turning off "Serial Console" and "Serial Echo"

* Make sure that you did a "Make Devices" in the installer. It won't hurt
  to do it twice (this is mainly if the kernel starts booting and is then
  unable to find something in /dev)

* As a last resort, try zapping the PRAM (mainly for AV Macs)

	And some tips from the FAQ:
(http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-3.html#ss3.1)

3.8 NetBSD/mac68k doesn't boot on my machine. It hangs. What do I do?

Verify this checklist before going any further:

1.Monitor Control Panel is set to 1-bit video. If you have more than
  one video card, make sure both are set to 1-bit (this is no longer
  necessary unless you will be using dt or monochrome X).

2.your machine prefers an FPU (M68881 or M68882).

3.your 68020 machine has a PMMU (M68851).

4.32-bit addressing is turned "on" in the Memory Control Panel.

5.Machines with 32-bit dirty ROMs have MODE32 installed with 32-bit
  addressing turned "on". (These machines are the Mac II, IIx, IIcx,
  and SE/30. There are others, but they will not run NetBSD.)

6.the Booter has sufficient memory. Select the Booter icon, press CMD-I
  to see the memory allocated to the booter.

7.Options->Booting...->Kernel Name is correct. Most likely it will be
  "netbsd" unless you are testing a new kernel with a different name.

8.Options->Booting...->Root SCSI ID is correct. This should be the SCSI
  ID for the drive on which NetBSD/mac68k is installed on. It may not be
  the same as the drive on which the Booter application is located.

9.Options->Booting...->RAM is set to the amount of RAM in your machine,
  and Auto-size RAM is turned on. This is true even if you are using
  internal video on a Mac IIci or IIsi.

10.Options->Preferences...->Errors and Options->Preferences...->Verbose
   are both turned on.

11.You are booting without any inits, especially RAM Doubler. Mode32 is
   the exception. (NOTE: I've had trouble with having any extensions at
   enabled under System 7.5.5)

12.Your are running at least System 7.0. The current version of the Booter
   utility no longer works under System 6.x.x.

13.Remove any non-standard (i.e. non-Apple) hardware. Not all hardware is
   supported at the moment, and some may cause the boot to hang.

| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"People say I'm strange, does it  |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | make me a stranger?              |
| Office: 9206 3468    Fax:  9212 6329  | My best friend was born ...      |
| Mobile: 014 611 322  Home: 9579 3293  | in a manger" Jesus Freak, DC Talk|