Subject: Re: disklabel help!
To: sandro marrone <dad.coni@iol.it>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/1997 06:21:39
The corruption you reported (regular files magically turning into char or
block devices) is reminiscent of the problems with the NCR scsi driver.
Try to find a GENERICSBC kernel (its the same as GENERIC, but with the SBC
scsi driver).

On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, sandro marrone wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have another time destroyed my disk.
>
> My disk was unlabeled becouse when I tried do this even the disk was destroyed.
>
> Few day ago I have posted here a message for problem with some files, then
> I have deleted corrupted files and reinstalled them.  All right for some
> day but again other files have been corrupted, so I think that problem is
> that the disks (2) are unlabeled an try another time to do this, reading
> carefully man page, but... niet!
>
> At reboot Mac68k Booter 1.9.5 stops saying unesixtent partition -1 and
> Apple HD SC Setup 3.0.1 (A/UX) say that "This disk is uninitialized, or its
> partition map has become invalid".
>
> My system is:
>
> - Mac LCII 8Mb ram
> - 1 HD PLI - PL52 Turbo - QUANTUM LP52S 9505094
> - 1 HD Apple - 40SC - QUANTUM P40S 94-40-94..
> - netBSD current, GENERIC#30
>
> I have do this operations on PL52:
>
> # disklabel sd1 > /label
> # pico /label
> - edit it. Minor changes: name, adding partition c: (unused - entire disk space
>            - offset 0, fsize=0, bsize=0, cpg=0,  Cyl. 0*- 768*-),
>            modified partition a: fsize=4096, bsize=8192, cpg=16.
> # disklabel -R sd1 /label  - no message from kernel
> # disklabel -R -r sd1 /label - no message again.
>
> All seem ok, but at reboot stops.
>
> Help!

> Sandro Marrone
>
> ROMA - ITALY

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |