Subject: Re: congrats to netbsd!!
To: John Ostrowick <jon@colossus.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/1997 13:04:35
On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, John Ostrowick wrote:

> I've installed mklinux on my 8550/200 because i got sick of the macos
> crashing and i must say this:
>
> WELL DONE TO ALL THE FOLKS WHO'VE FOUGHT TO GET NETBSD WORKING!!!!!
> it's a *pillar of stability* by comparison to mklinux!

You might try linux-pmac.  I experienced crashes to no end on a PCI-class
powermac with MkLinux (globegate.utm.edu), but switching to linux-pmac has
resulted in much better luck.  Make sure you get a 2.1.24 kernel, though,
as (in my experience) the 2.1.36 and 2.1.42 have massive problems with
load averages growing exponentially (30.xx instead of the system's usual
0.00 0.03 0.02).  However, even linux-pmac doesn't feel as stable as
NetBSD-mac68k (2.1.XX are development kernels and netatalk's broken on the
whole lot....)

> the only thing i've seen crash more than mklinux is the macos itself :-)

I dunnoo... Windows 3.1 is way up there, too.  :-)

> to be fair, it's still early in the life of mklinux, but i thought it'd
> warm your little hearts to know how much i respect your work.

NetBSD has, for the time being, one even bigger advantage: core dumps.
Last night, there was a message on development-system and linux-pmac lists
about a patch that fixes that problem....  It's about time, don't you
think.  Not to mention how much trouble 604e folks have with shared
libraries.... :-)

Later,
David