Subject: Re: strange things
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: sandro marrone <dad.coni@iol.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/1997 13:24:12
At 10:56 10-06-1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

>Weird. If your card has a SONIC chip on it (not to be confused with SONIC
>ethernet cards, a card manufacturer), then it should NOT be using the
>ae driver. It should be using the sn driver (sn0). Probably the kernel
>needs to be taught how to tell your card from the other ones..
>
>What version of NetBSD did you download? The latest snapshot?

Yes.  I have find this corrispondence in some archive.

Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 16:18:17 +0900
From: ariakira@creator.club.or.jp (Kawasak! Yuusuke)
Subject: Apple EtherNet NB Card #2

At 9:24 PM 97.4.27, I wrote on `Apple EtherNet NB Card':
> I have the Apple's EtherNet NB Card (c) 1991. There is many chips on
> the card, DP83932BVF chip, which maybe `SONIC', and MC68000 etc. The
> card's ethernet interface is AAUI.

Thank you very much for many advices. I lost hope with the 68000 cpu on
the card. --Whoever don't know how to treat him!-- Finally I gave up use
of the card. Because I have the other card. :-)

- ----
APPLE COMPUTER, INC. 820-0511-A
APPLE ETHERNET NB TWISTED-PAR CARD (C) 1993

SONIC-T DP83934AVQB K9336AJ PANTENTED (C)(M) 1992

SN74BCT2425PQ 9336AR 3167617

SN74ACT2441PQ 9334XN 3167236
- ----

The card's interface is 10 BASE-T. There is `COMPAQ' mark on the card.
The card also has SONIC chip, but no 68000 cpu. Then I tried the card
under GENERIC-29. At the booting:

- ----
ae0 at nubus0: failed to determin size of RAM.
- ----

Ummm. DP83934-SONIC is also not supported?

> Thank you very much for many advices. I lost hope with the 68000 cpu on
> the card. --Whoever don't know how to treat him!-- Finally I gave up use
> of the card. Because I have the other card. :-)

:) Maybe someday somebody will get the 68000 card to work.

> ----
> APPLE COMPUTER, INC. 820-0511-A
> APPLE ETHERNET NB TWISTED-PAR CARD (C) 1993
>
> SONIC-T DP83934AVQB K9336AJ PANTENTED (C)(M) 1992
>
> SN74BCT2425PQ 9336AR 3167617
>
> SN74ACT2441PQ 9334XN 3167236
> ----
>
> The card's interface is 10 BASE-T. There is `COMPAQ' mark on the card.
> The card also has SONIC chip, but no 68000 cpu. Then I tried the card
> under GENERIC-29. At the booting:
>
> ----
> ae0 at nubus0: failed to determin size of RAM.
> ----
>
> Ummm. DP83934-SONIC is also not supported?

I am also forwarding this message to the NetBSD mailing list so that
the people working on SONIC support might see this problem.

The kernel seems to think the card is a non-Sonic ethernet card. You can
tell because it says *ae0*. Sonic cards say "sn0".

I think there is a listing of cards in kernel that the Sonic driver checks
for. Perhaps your card hasn't made it into that list yet. Hopefully the
person working on Sonic driver development will see this message and
add it to the supported cards list.

> APPLE ETHERNET NB TWISTED-PAR CARD (C) 1993
>
> SONIC-T DP83934AVQB K9336AJ PANTENTED (C)(M) 1992
>
> SN74BCT2425PQ 9336AR 3167617
>
> SN74ACT2441PQ 9334XN 3167236
> ----
>
> The card's interface is 10 BASE-T. There is `COMPAQ' mark on the card.
> The card also has SONIC chip, but no 68000 cpu. Then I tried the card
> under GENERIC-29. At the booting:
>
> ----
> ae0 at nubus0: failed to determin size of RAM.
> ----

  Since the ae driver is trying to control it, the Nubus drhw and drsw
  must not be recognized correctly.

  Could you get the "Slots" program from
ftp.apple.com://devworld/Tool_Chest/Devices_-_Hardware/NuBus_Slot_Manager/Sl
ots.sit.hqx,
  run it under MacOS on your machine, and send the results to me?
  Slots will decode the Nubus declaration area which should provide
  enough info to get the card recognized.

> Ummm. DP83934-SONIC is also not supported?

  The original SONIC is 83932. The 83934 is the SONIC plus the twisted
  pair ENDEC, which is slightly cheaper than using external componentry.
  The sn driver should support both chips, there is little software-visible
  difference.

I think that the ethernet driver have some problem yet.

Thanks Bill.

Sandro Marrone

ROMA - ITALY