Subject: Re: setup
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Francis Peter <francisp@innet.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1997 21:56:43
Hi,

>> I just downloaded all the files from:
>> ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/w/wormey/netbsd/
>> or
>> ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/
>> they are all OK.
>> At the moment I'm looking for some information on how to set-up a NetBSD
>> server for:
>> IPNAT, NETATALK and COLOR X. At the moment my WWW, FTP, SMTP - POP3 and
>> DNS servers are working in NetBSD.
>
>I can help some with NETATALK... Others can do a better job with color X,
>and I'm not sure about IP-NAT.
>
>> In MkLinux it was also possible for me to use my ppc8100 for IP
>> masquerade, color X and netatalk to access my DeskWriter as a PostScript
>> printer through GS.
>
>How is the DeskWriter wired up? Are you using LocalTalk, direct
>serial, or Ether? We don't support macs connected to LocalTalk
>yet, so that won't work (though if you had an ethernet card and a
>LocalTalk<->EtherTalk bridge, it'd work). Also, what kind of DeskWriter
>is it? I've put up an old version of gs on ftp.macbsd.com, but if the
>printer's a 500 or newer, just use the stock gs distribution.

The DeskWriter is connected to my LocalTalk network. I use the Apple
Internet Router to route between my LocalTalk and EtherTalk network. The
DW is a newer version of the DW500. In MkLinux I used version 4.01 of GS.

>> How can I set-up IPNAT, NETATALK and COLOR X with NetBSD? My system is a
>> MacCX with 8MB ram, Toby frame buffer card and the tar files from
>> ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy. At the moment I'm using NetBSD
>> 1.2E the GENERIC #90 kernel, the date is Jun 4.
>> If I start the appletalk protocol I get a error :
>> starting appletalk daemons:socket: Protocol not supported
>>  atalkd nbprgstr papdJun 9 20:05:22 maccx2 papd[164]: No such printer: lp
>> Jun 9 20:05:22 maccx2 papd[164]: printcap problem: lp
>> Jun 9 20:05:22 maccx2 papd[164]: atp_open: Protocol not supported
>>  afpd.
>> Jun 9 20:05:23 maccx2 afpd[167]: main: atp_open: Protocol not supported
>> starting local daemons:.
>> What kernel do I need and where can I find it (URL please)?
>
>NETATALK isn't compiled into the GENERIC kernels by default. You'll have
>to roll your own, unfortunatly. Though you'll also have to do that to get
>NAT support, I think.

How can I compile netatalk in my kernel? What options do I have to enable?

>Take care,
>
>Bill

Peter

Francis Peter                     e-mail internet: francisp@innet.be
Beverijstraat 8                                    francisp@knoware.nl
B 9180 Moerbeke-Waas                   CompuServe: 100073,1633
Belgium                           Phone +32 (0) 9 346 67 94