Subject: Re: NetBSD DID come up, but read-only...
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/09/1997 16:32:02
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> Actually, because fs has been mounted r/o at the time, it doesn't make
> any difference whether to "reboot" (with syncing) or to "reboot -n"
> (w/o syncing).  Reason: there's no dirty buffer to flush.  "Reboot -n"
> is suggest because it directly reads/writes the fs bypassing the
> buffers, but I'm not sure whether it's still necessary under NetBSD.

I thought the same, but wasn't certain enough to say it.  :-)

> > > HANGS (after
> > >         "Changing root device to sd1a
> > >         PRAM: 0x339c3fgd, macos_boottime: Ox339c3fg0"
> >
> > Sounds like trashed fs from the reboot -n.
>
> I'm not so sure.  There may be more subtle problem with the disk drive.
> Does the kernel use the ncrscsi driver or the sbc driver?  Might help
> if you switch.

And again, if neither works, you can also try a -current ncrscsi.  Some
changes about a month ago, maybe longer... got my PB145 working, which
previously gave those same type of read errors (and crashed hopelessly
with sbc during fsck).  Note that upgrading the kernel requires, as a
minimum, an upgrade to base to a compatible tarball, so that things like
ps don't choke on the libkvm changes.  I'm not sure beyond that.

BTW, what kind of drive is that?

Later,
David