Subject: Re: setup
To: Francis Peter <francisp@innet.be>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/09/1997 13:26:15

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded all the files from:
> ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/w/wormey/netbsd/
> or
> ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy/
> they are all OK.
> At the moment I'm locking for some information on how to set-up a NetBSD
> server for:
> IPNAT, NETATALK and COLOR X. At the moment my WWW, FTP, SMTP - POP3 and
> DNS servers are working in NetBSD.

I can help some with NETATALK... Others can do a better job with color X,
and I'm not sure about IP-NAT.

> In MkLinux it was also possible for me to use my ppc8100 for IP
> masquerade, color X and netatalk to access my DeskWriter as a PostScript
> printer through GS.

How is the DeskWriter wired up? Are you using LocalTalk, direct
serial, or Ether? We don't support macs connected to LocalTalk
yet, so that won't work (though if you had an ethernet card and a
LocalTalk<->EtherTalk bridge, it'd work). Also, what kind of DeskWriter
is it? I've put up an old version of gs on ftp.macbsd.com, but if the
printer's a 500 or newer, just use the stock gs distribution.

> How can I set-up IPNAT, NETATALK and COLOR X with NetBSD? My system is a
> MacCX with 8MB ram, Toby frame buffer card and the tar files from
> ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/eskimo.copy. At the moment I'm using NetBSD
> 1.2E the GENERIC #90 kernel, the date is Jun 4.
> If I start the appletalk protocol I get a error :
> starting appletalk daemons:socket: Protocol not supported
>  atalkd nbprgstr papdJun 9 20:05:22 maccx2 papd[164]: No such printer: lp
> Jun 9 20:05:22 maccx2 papd[164]: printcap problem: lp
> Jun 9 20:05:22 maccx2 papd[164]: atp_open: Protocol not supported
>  afpd.
> Jun 9 20:05:23 maccx2 afpd[167]: main: atp_open: Protocol not supported
> starting local daemons:.
> What kernel do I need and where can I find it (URL please)?

NETATALK isn't compiled into the GENERIC kernels by default. You'll have
to roll your own, unfortunatly. Though you'll also have to do that to get
NAT support, I think.

Take care,

Bill