Subject: Re: NetBSD DID come up, but read-only...
To: None <R.P.Linssen@fys.ruu.nl>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/1997 19:10:36
On Mon, 9 Jun 1997 00:59:57 +0100,
R.P.Linssen@fys.ruu.nl (Renier Linssen) wrote:
> Today I installed NetBSD 1.2.1 on my Mac LC III.

Cool.

> I installed it onto an external Quantum 80MB hard-disk, on which I created
> a Root/Usr partition and a Swap partition first. This afternoon, I tried to
> install everything I downloaded, which was far too much for the disk (I'm
> only testing things at this moment, I'm not seriously planning to run
> NetBSD from a 80 Meg HD...). This evening, I just installed the base212
> kernel file and netbsd121, and it booted!

Sounds good so far.

> But one of the first things I
> tried to do (mkdir) revealed that it is a read-only file-system. Does
> anyone have a clue what's wrong here?

Yes, go read the FAQ at http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/.
Ok, it's because you booted the system in single-user mode.  Normally
a system is operational in multi-user mode, which, in case of mac68k,
is configurable in the Booter's [Options][Boot] dialog box.

> The first thing the system reported (after the usual technical details) was
> that it couldn't find the /etc/rc file. Maybe something wrong here? Please

Did you install etc121?  I think that's the reason.

Ken