Subject: Re: disappearing files until reboot
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/1997 06:49:09
I'm getting the same (similar?) problem on my centris 650. Any write
operation makes everything in the directory to disappear. I can still cat
the files if I use their absolute pathname, but I can't list them. using vi
on a file in a directory does this to the whole directory. Vi complains
that it can't write - that "close" is not a valid operation or something.
now I AM using an MO drive which might be confusing things. fsck also
complains about not being able to write. it says the following:

cannot write: BLK16
chcking for core dump: can't find device 4/17
cannot write sectors 16-31, 1016, 10, 17.

        -Ethan

>> here's a glitch on a Q700
>> netbsd  temporarily loosing files until reboot.

>> ...the same problem.
>>
>> Henry Holtz suggests...
>> >This shouldn't happen!  Try booting to single-user mode and do a
>> >fsck -f.(I think that's right.  The option is to tell it to check the
>> >fs even if it is marked clean.  You may also need to specify which
>> >filesystem, e.g. /.)
>>
>> tried this also; no [y/n] prompts or anything. After reboot the copied
>> files now appear in target directory.
>>
>> fsck on read-only filesystem shows some blocks cannot be written to. How
>> could i test this if that's the reason?
>
>Wait, did you fsck a r/w file system?? That's VERY bad. Also, not being able
>to write to a certian block is a problem.
>
>> notes: macQ700 external sd2 rootfile system 4.2bsd by mkfs 1.4
>> HFS at end of harddrive for minimal OS and booter 1.9.6
>  (really only needed for 1.9.6 and stupid formatters)
>
>Show us some logs, complete with ls before cp, ls after cp, and
>error messages from vi. Oh, and how about the messages from fsck
>when it's complaining about bad blocks.
>
>Take care,
>
>Bill

| Ethan Gold, Class of '97              |       Computer Science        |
| http://www.cs.vassar.edu/~etgold/     |       Vassar College          |
| finger etgold@cs.vassar.edu for pgp   |       Poughkeepsie, NY        |