Subject: Re: mail pathnames?
To: None <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/1997 16:52:47
On Sat, 07 Jun 1997 15:15:31 CDT,
Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu> wrote:

> I think so.  I can send mail within the machine, and to the outside with
> no problem.  It's a fulltime connection, though the machine is running
> macos some of the time.

Do you get any error mail bounced back at you?  If so, what does it
say?

As for sending mail within the machine, that can be done without local
sendmail process involved.  Likewise when you are sending to the
outside.  So, being able to send mail within or to outside doesn't
mean your sendmail is working properly.

I'd guess that the most common problem would be sendmail not running
on your host.  If that's the case, the scenario is like this:

1) Your MTA outside will look for MX record for your host.
2) It fails (because it doesn't have a MX), so MTA then tries to
connect to your host itself.
3) If sendmail is not running on your host, attempt to open a SMTP
connection will fail, so the mail will be bounced.

Do you think it's what's happening?

Ken