Subject: Re: Video mode problems.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/1997 10:16:05
Hi,

I have a Toby buffer frame card in my IIcx.  I used to run color X on it
using Taras kernel and the colorkit.  I had exactly the same problem that
Mario is having, so I don't think it is the specific to the Q700.  After
you quit X, the screen is mostly black with white blocks scattered about.
If you have a tty connection running, you can see that the computer is not
frozen, it is just that the console is unusable.  You can still type in
commands.

For example, if you type 'clear' you will notice that the pattern of white
blocks changes a bit.  You can also type 'startx' to restart an X session
and the screen will go back to normal.  You can also type 'reboot' to
reboot the Mac.  The only problem is that you cna't see what you are
typing.

The work-arounds for this, given to me by Taras are 1) contrary to advice
for other kernels, start up your Mac in 256 color mode, not monochrome;
and 2) don't quit X.  Starting up in 256 color mode seems to help a tiny
bit in that maybe 1 in 50 times the card will reset itself when you return
to the console. The downside is that you lose the ability to use dt.  I
wound up using following both ideas.  I just always used X.

Mark

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:04:12 -0400 (EDT),
> Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu> wrote:
> > >      color X windows with Dormouse#2 and it scrambled the video right off
> > >      the bat, this time I was able to quit X but then the machine froze
> > >      again.
> >
> > Sounds to me like certain registers in the Toby might be getting hit.
> > There's probably either a bug in the driver or the NuBus handling still
> > isn't quite right for the Quadra 700.
>
> I'll bet my 2 cents to the latter, since in Taras' lkm, the "driver"
> that sets the hardware registers is pulled right out of the ROM.
>
> Ken

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/