Subject: X on netbsd/mac68k: setup DLL cache file
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: brian wildasinn <bwildasi@csulb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/1997 23:31:26
This is a posting for X windows on netbsd/mac68k. Please forward it if
it's out of place here.

note on installing XWindows for X11R6.3 using netbsd 1.2.1:

        startx...
        xinit: libXmu.so.6.0  not found
        xinit: libXext.so.6.1 not found

before i can startx on the mac the link editor ld needs to know where
the X libraries are for building the xwindows GUI. So i added the
following to the /etc/rc.local file:

        #
        # Build the link-editor fast directory cache.
        #
        echo "creating runtime link editor directory cache."
        ldconfig        /* create ls.so.hints */
        ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib  /* update the ls.so.hints file */

This is an adaptation from a lengthly page on installing X, "X Window
System Version 11 Release 6". I only have part 9, so i'm not sure who
wrote that page. Anyway, on my Q700 macintosh at least, another
ldconfig had to be added to create the cache file called ld.so.hints.
*If* ldconfig is not listed twice, the error "xinit: libXu.so.6.0 and
libXext.so.6.1 not found" will occur because the system automatically
DELEATES the cache file when rebooted and so cannot update the
ld.so.hints file because it doesn't exist yet. Thus the error "not
found".

one original contributor for the -m flag: jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu

Hope this anybody!

brian