Subject: Re: Will this work?
To: William Quay <wquay@fast.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/1997 10:07:46
On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, William Quay wrote:

> Then I remembered that I had an Performa 430 (LCII equivalent) sitting
> around. I knew that Mklinux only runs on power macs, but I poked around
> a bit and found out about netbsd.
>
> Okay, now for the question - you knew I would get to the question,
> right?
>
> Will a performa 430 with only 4 mb of ram and a 90 mb hard drive be
> enough to run netbsd, or should I save my time and not bother
> downloading the software?

You can check the official working machines page on www.macbsd.org, but I
suspect that machine should work.  I'd strongly recommend investing in a
little more hard drive space, though.  90 Megs will hold a basic
distribution, but I don't know if you can fit X in (windowing system), and
you won't have a heck of a lot of free disk space to play around with.
More memory would always be nice, as I think 4 megs is about the minimum
you can work with.  Anyway, allocate 20 megs swap, and be prepared for a
lot of swapping (hard drive Virtual Memory use) without more RAM.  BTW,
although the official FAQ recommends 8 megs, I run using a PowerBook 145
with 6, and have actually found a IIsi with only 5 megs to be reasonable,
though slow at large compiles in comparison to my PowerMac....  :-)

Hope this information is helpful.  For lots more, check out:
http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/

Later,
David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |