Subject: Re: Second verse, same as the first...
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/06/1997 23:13:11
Hi,

Here is a follow-up.  I downloaded a few other of the tarballs to see how
things were going.  I was able to install misc.tar.gz without any
problems.  Unfortunately, comp.tar.gz does not get very far.

  ./usr/bin/gcc
  ./usr/bin/gdb
  tar: Skipping to next file header ...
  #

A similar problem with base.tar.gz as I mentioned.

  ./usr/bin/md5
  ./usr/bin/merge
  tar: Skipping to next file header ...
  #

The installation was done in single user mode with the commands in my

If I try and boot into multi-user, I am constantly nagged by ld.so
complaining that libraries are not the expected versions.  Fortunately, I
had the 970402 -current tarballs still sitting on my box.  I went back
into single-user and untarred the tarfiles without any problems.

I think there is something amiss with the tarballs, or is it just me?

Mark

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Mark Andres wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded base.tar.gz.  I tried to untar using:
>
> tar --unlink -zxpvf base.tar.gz
>
> in / and about half way through, it stops untarring around
> /usr/bin/mesg.
>
> I am going to download the others and I will let you know how it goes.
>
> Mark
>
> On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Space Case wrote:
>
> > Well, almost.  I found that because I had supped, I had to do a full build
> > (or hack Makefiles to not install things that weren't built).  But anyways,
> > it's done and uploading.  Based on 31 May sources.  base, comp, etc and
> > games are done -- I'm headed for bed now; hopefully misc, man and text will
> > make it without my connection dropping (like it did several times early on).
> >
> > ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/w/wormey/netbsd/
> >
> > Again, I installed these files on my C610, if they broke in transit, please
> > let me know so I can fix it.  (I have 48 hours before quota restrictions
> > make life difficult. ;-)

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/