Subject: Re: Running Color X
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1997 22:12:56
Hi,

Ken guessed correctly.  On my IIcx, the Toby buffer frame card works fine
and I was able to use color X.  Since the IIcx does not have internal
video on the motherboard, there are no interrupt problems.  I have since
turned the IIcx into a web server, so I don't use X on it anymore.

Mark

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:
> Please remember, folks.  The color X server does not decide whether or
> not it will run on a particular machine (and a particular video card).
> It is not the server's responsibility to implement some low-level
> video functions for any video card.  Instead, it is the grf driver's
> responsibility.  So, if some version of the colorized grf driver works
> ok on a particular configuration, the color X server will run on that
> configuration.  If not, it will not.
>
> > It did not recognize my Toby buffer frame video card when I tried it
> > on my Centris 650.
>
> This may indicate there is still some problem in NuBus interrupt
> handling on Quadra/Centris class machines...  IIRC, the Toby card
> does work with your IIc* and color grf driver/X server, doesn't it?
>
> Ken

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/