Subject: Re: Running Color X
To: None <Mario_Magliocco@broder.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.aisol.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1997 21:06:25
Hi,

You can find information on obtaining adn setting up the colorkit in the
MacBSD FAQ:

http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/faq-9.html#ss9.13

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Ken Nakata wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:41:55 -0700,
> Mario_Magliocco@broder.com (Mario Magliocco) wrote:
> >   I have dormouse#2 up and running fine on my Quadra 700.
>
> Congratulations!
>
> > Now, where can I locate the most current X stuff and the most
> > current colorkit??
>
> Now, unfortunately, the most current colorkit is the one you can find
> on puma, and I don't think the color X server works on Q700 with any
> kernel.  Somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

The dormouse kernel works with Quadra/Centris Macs **that have nubus video
cards**.  So you can try the color kit and it *might* work.  The most
important thing is if the kernel is setting grf0 at bootup.  It you do a
'dmesg', you should see some lines where it says

  macvid0 at nubus0: <your video card here>
  grf0 at macvid0

There may be some lines in between.  If the dormouse kernel recognizes
your video card, there is a good chance it will work.  It did not
recognize my Toby buffer frame video card when I tried it on my Centris
650.  SO I am hanging in there until we have color X on internal video.
In the mean time, monochrome X for me is quite useable.

Mark Andres   E-mail: mark@ratbert.aisol.net
    Running NetBSD, 100% Microsoft Free!
 http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/