Subject: Re: Pthreads & 68k
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/1997 15:49:59
On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Chris Mason wrote:

> All-
>
>      Has anyone been succesful at using Pthreads (POSIX Threads) on
> NetBSD/mac68k?  I've seen pthreads implementations around
> (http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/proven/pthreads.html) that refernce NetBSD,
> but they all seem to refer specifically to i386.

Is/has anybody been working on kernel-level threads? I get the impression
that most of the hard work has been done by CSRG already.

>From the daemon book (pp80-81):

"The layout of process state was completely reorganized in 4.4BSD. The
goal was to support multiple threads that share an address space and
other resources. [SNIP...] The 4.4BSD distribution did not have
kernel-thread support enabled, primarily because the C library had not
been rewritten to be able to handle multiple threads."

If a group effort needs to be done to go over the entire C library and
make sure all is reentrant, I'm sure people would be into it if we split
it up among enough programmers. I'd be in.

But I guess this belongs in some other list (which one?) since it
certainly isn't Mac specific.

Threads would be a big plus for NetBSD.

> TIA,
>
> -c
> |Chris Mason - cmason@cmu.edu  cmason@nyx.net  http://ros.res.cmu.edu |
> |"You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style."-Nabokov|

"Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them."

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.