Subject: Re: Strange chime and not working
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jaime Kikpole <jaime@wizvax.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/1997 01:45:31
     OK, Command-Option-P-R and the power key in the back were hard to hold
down all at once.  :)  It didn't seem to help because the IIx still plays a
tune.

     I also took out the SCSI (and floppy) cables, but that didn't help
either.

     However, pages 87-88 of Build Your Own Macintosh and Save a Bundle
(from pre-'040 days!) states:  Each SIMM must be filled with eight RAM
chips.  Nine RAM chip SIMMs to enable parity checking can be used in IIci
and IIfx models when equiped with [deleted].  This was in reference to what
the book calls "SIMM rules -- Mac SE 30 and NuBus" which seems to include
the SE/30, II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, and IIfx.  Does this sound right to you
people?

      I bring this up because I'm using 3 chip SIMMs and the other IIx has
2 chip SIMMs in it.  Do you think this would effect it?  I always assumed
not, but I'm not finding other problems.

     BTW, I found a site that's selling 8MB SIMMs with PAL chips.  Were
these ever made?  If I could get the IIx working, it'd sure be cool to have
64MB of RAM (8MB * 8 slots)!!  :)

                                                      Jaime