Subject: Re: Strange chime and not working
To: Jaime Kikpole <jaime@wizvax.net>
From: Michael Peters <sailor@oro.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1997 22:12:42
^ZOverflow on /dev/null: Please empty the bit bucket.

On Sun, 1 Jun 1997, Jaime Kikpole wrote:

> > when I said the chime is normal, I was implying yhat the chime that he
> was
> > getting is normal for a Mac with no ram.
> >

>       Hrm...  I haven't gotten another kind of chime yet.  What other
> reasons might cause such a chime?  A broken mother board?  (please no
> please no please no....)
>
>                                                 Jaime

  Sounds like you're getting the mac's death chime which means if it were
able, it'd be showing you a big ole sad-mac.  Try getting ahold of some
sort of disk-drive (I think used drives are like $35) and a bootable
floppy.  You should be able to use the built-in video port on the IIvx
with your handydandy vga-mac adaptor, as it could be the video board the
mac's disagreeing with.  One would think that no disk drive would still
boot the machine and just give you a 'diskless' icon, but I've gotten
sad-mac before when severe system software problems were present.

  Also, check the battery on the motherboard, it may be dead... try using
the pram-zapping keys (I forget what they are, sorry) when you turn it on.
If all else fails, go over the motherboard with a fine-tooth comb... it
may be physically bad, but possibly repairable if you know some basic
electronics.

  Hope your mac comes to life for you,

-MDP