Subject: Re: Netatalk: I give up....
To: Jesse Swensen <jrs@pagesz.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1997 09:05:33
> Here is the problem.  I have Netatalk installed and I think I have all the
> configuration files where they ought to go.  But when I reboot the machine,
> I get the following:
>
> starting appletalk daemons:bind: Can't assign requested address
> bind: Can't assign requested address
>  nbprgstr papdMay 31 02:31:50 minimac papd[199]: No such printer: lp
> May 31 02:31:50 minimac papd[199]: printcap problem: lp
> May 31 02:31:50 minimac papd[199]: atp_open: Can't assign requested address
>  afpd.
> minimac# May 31 02:31:51 minimac afpd[202]: main: atp_open: Can't assign
> requested address
>

> I don't have any ideas where to look.  I went back through all the
> information I could find, with no insight as what to do.  I kind of have an
> idea on the papd printer problem, as I haven't set any up yet.  But the
> bind problem is what has me stumped.  Any help would be appreciated....
>
> Since compiling the new kernel, I also get the following, when I send a
> mail to root (or any one else on my net for that matter):

What version of source are you using? And what distribution. It's the 9704XX
one, isn't it?

If so, you probably need to make the patches I babbled about previously.
Around lines 225 and 231 in sys/net/if_ethersubr.c and lines 197, 199,
456, 458, 591, and 593 in sys/netatalk/aarp.c there are occurences of
sizeof(struct llc). Replace then with the number 8.

This gets around a bug in the compiler, which has since been fixed. At
the time of the merge, I didn't notice that the "8"'s had been put
back to "sizeof(struct llc)". I'd have pushed for us leaving the
8's in place until we got the compiler fixed (with big XXX's). Oh
well.

> May 31 02:43:59 minimac sendmail[208]: My unqualified host name (minimac)
> unknown; sleeping for retry

I'm not sure what's up with that.

> One more thing.  PS doesn't seem to want to work.  I get the following:
>
> ps: proc size mismatch (7956 total, 652 chunks)

You need to re-compile libkvm and then re-link ps.

Take care,

Bill